Known locally as “CB”, Crested Butte is a one-of-a-kind ski town, centrally located in the Rocky Mountains. No matter what time of year you visit, there’s always plenty to do. It’s located about five hours from Denver and 30 minutes north of Gunnison.
With both a historic downtown and modern resort town, Crested Butte is not lacking in amenities. Historic main street is brimming with unique shops, restaurants and lodging, while the mountain village has recreation at your fingertips. There is a wide range of accommodations available, from excellently cozy b&b’s, to high-end ski condos.
Laid back yet incredibly charming, Crested Butte is an all-ages town that can always seem to conjure up something to do. It’s still considered a local secret, so if you want to snag a great deal, it won’t be too difficult to do.
Crested Butte Mountain Resort – Diverse ski area with lots to offer every type of skier and rider.
During winter, the town is perfect for those looking to escape and still enjoy world class skiing. The resort has a fun mix of terrain spread over 1,167 acres. Snowmobiling, dog sledding, ice fishing and cross country skiing are all close to town.
Summer brings mountain biking, fishing, rafting, hiking and camping. Kebler Pass/Co Rd 12 is open seasonally and connects CB to Panoia State Park, and is also a quicker way to Aspen (about three hours).
- Lake Irwin campground offers fishing and hiking nearby. Take Whiterock Ave, which becomes Kebler Pass Rd (Co Rd 12) west for 6.5 miles. Turn right (north) on Forest Rd 826 and go just over 2 miles.
- The small Gothic campground is located 10 miles north of town on Gothic Road (FR 317). It’s 1 mile past the ghost town. THere is also some free dispersed camping on this road.
- Oh Be Joyful is an affordable campground located a few miles northwest of town on Slate River Rd. It makes a good base between downtown and Mount Crested Butte. River Flats Campground for walk-in tents only, located before Oh Be Joyful.
- Slate River is known for trout. Take Gothic Rd north for 1 mile and turn left on Slave River Rd. Continue for about 4 miles until you reach public access.
- Emerald Lake is located 12 miles north of town, (but about a 45 minute drive). Take Gothic Road for 12 miles north to lake.
- East River flows from its headwaters in Emerald Lake, south to Almont. It follows along CO 135 for the last 11 miles for Almont. It also follows along Gothic Road for several mines before Emerald Lake.
The Secret Stash is pizza and coffee house set up as lounge with odd seating and decorations from the owner’s world travels. There’s almost always a dinner wait during peak seasons. It’s much quieter during lunch. Another option is Teocalli Tamale, a fresh burrito bar with good prices and quick food. Eldo Brewery is CB’s brewpub with full menu featuring burgers, snacks and sandwiches.
Bars and Restaurants:
- Kochevars Saloon – A historic restaurant and gaming hall established in 1886 by Jacob Kochevar.
Jul – Crested Butte Wildflower Festival – Week of wildflower festivities in mid July including over eighty hikes, alpine yoga classes, 4×4 tours, garden tours, photography, art & cooking classes, medicinal classes using botanical ingredients, planting wildflowers at home, birding and butterflies.
Aug – Crested Butte Arts Festival – One of the country’s 50 top arts festival takes place over three days in early August.
Things To Do near Crested Butte, CO
Cross Country Skiing:
Made in Colorado:
7 Heavenly Hikes around Crested Butte – Better known as an “adventure” mountain resort, Crested Butte also offers dozens of hikes ideal for summertime excursions. Scenic trails abound throughout the Elk Mountain range. Located in west-central Colorado…
Iconic Mountain Towns in Colorado – With over 100 different towns located within Colorado’s Rockies, there are several that stand out as being perfectly picturesque, loaded with undeniable character, and define the meaning of what it is to be “classic…
Falls Colors On Kebler Pass – This seasonal mountain highway connects Crested Butte with Paonia. The drive over Kebler Pass takes nearly two hours. It’s a fairly high pass at 10,007 feet that leads through spectacular alpine terrain. Peaks tower in the distance…