Around every corner in Aspen lies beautiful architecture, which is home to all sorts of fine shops, restaurants and lodges. There are very few towns that are known for upscale, sporty fun like Aspen.
Located adjacent to some of the most beautiful mountains in the state, Aspen is an outdoor paradise. It’s urban yet secluded, with plenty of wilderness to explore. The Roaring Fork nearby provides an opportunity for cliff jumping. It’s also known for decadent restaurants, family-oriented ski lodges, historical sites, and many different local arts attractions. Aspen is home to Sport Obermeyer, a top notch outdoor clothing maker.When it comes to fine dining, it’s hard to find a Western town with more urbane tastes. Going to bars like the Library, Casa Tua, and the Sage Bar are a great way to kick off the night. The restaurants seem to represent every nationality and different lifestyles. Whether you’re looking for fancy fusion restaurant or simple pizza parlor, Aspen’s got you covered.
Maroon Bells – It’s probably the most photographed spot in Colorado. Recreation like camping, fishing and hiking are popular here.
Arts – The most popular culture stop in Aspen is the Aspen Art Museum, which regularly holds new shows of all different kinds. The Red Brick Center for the Arts holds a close second to that title, and is an excellent choice for those who want a more cerebral stop on their vacation.
In addition to world class ski slopes, other winter activities including cross country skiing, dog sledding, ice skating, snowmobiling, snowshoeing and snow tubing. During the summer, hiking and horseback riding are common activities around Aspen. Aspen also has many different health spas for when its time to relax.
- Maroon Bells in the White River N.F. has three well maintained campgrounds.
- Situated about 14 miles east of Basalt on Frying Pan Rd, Ruedi Reservoir has four campgrounds.
- Backcountry camping can e found in the Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness, obtain permits first.
- Maroon Lake is about a ten minute drive from town. It’s stocked with cutthroat trout. Crater Lake is a two hour hike from Maroon Lake. Both lakes reside in the White River National Forest.
Hotels and Lodging:
- The Gant – An upscale 4 star hotel, The Gant is located a short walk to downtown.
- Hotel Jerome – It’s a historic 4.5 star luxury hotel built in 1889. It features 93 newly-renovated guest-rooms in downtown Aspen.
- Little Nell – This 5 star hotel is situated in the heart of town, minutes from everything. The Little Nell opened in 1989 and features 92 luxury rooms.
- St Regis – With probably the best location at the base of Aspen Mountain, The Saint Regis Aspen Resort is a true five star property. It showcases 179 premiere rooms.
- Viceroy Snowmass – This 4.5 star is the most luxurious property in Snowmass Village. Viceroy Snowmass offers 179 suites, all beautifully appointed.
- Westin Snowmass – Located in the heart of Snowmass Village, The 4 star Westin Snowmass Resort is another upscale accommodation.
Aspen’s a foodie town. Local. Fresh. Organic. Your tummy will be treated well, just bring a fat wallet if you want to enjoy all the luxurious eateries around town. There are a few mountain towns with as many restaurants as Aspen, only Breck comes to mind.
Bars and Restaurants:
- Red Onion – Historic saloon and restaurant in downtown Aspen. It’s the locals’ spot for a beer.
Jan – Winter X Games – Alone, they are the perfect excuse for visiting town, held every January in Aspen for over ten years. It’s an event that magnetizes passionate crowds every year! The world’s best winter athletes compete in extreme action sports, such as skiing, snowboarding and snowmobiling. The best part is that the competitions are open to public and free to watch.
Mar – Power of Four Ski Mountaineering Race – Epic ski mountaineering competition held annually in late February or early March.
Apr – Aspen Shortsfest – International short film festival featuring movies forty minutes or less, held in early April.
Jun – Food & Wine Classic in Aspen – Food and wine lovers head to Aspen in the middle of June for this three day event.
Oct – Aspen Filmfest – Founded in 1979, Apsen’s short film fest attracts visitors from all over in October for this noncompetitive, non-profit festival.
Things to do near Aspen
- Snowmass Bike Park (8mi)
Made in Colorado:
T-Lazy-7 Ranch Snowmobiling: Splendor in the Snow – T-Lazy-7 Ranch, Aspen’s oldest working ranch, has exclusive snowmobile rights to the White River National Forest at Independence Pass and all the way up to the Maroon Bells, two majestic “fourteeners”…
Power of Four: Skiing All 4 Aspen Snowmass Mountain Resorts – Boasting four distinct mountains, Aspen/Snowmass is sure to please all skiers and riders. All four ski areas all valid on the same lift ticket. Each of the ski areas are located next to each other, nestled…