Somerset is a small Colorado mining town located on CO-133 between Paonia and Redstone. There aren’t any restaurants in town, with the closest shopping and dining 9 miles south in Paonia.
The unincorporated community is situated at 6,042 feet in Gunnison County. There is a Somerset Post Office with a zip code of 81434 and about 55 residents as of 2020. A coal mine still operates in the area today, but other than that you won’t find much going on in this tiny town.
West Elk Loop Scenic and Historic Byway – Somerset sits on this route that covers over 200 miles of historic railroad routes and the paths of early Colorado explorers. The byway starts in Carbondale, summits McClure Pass, runs by Somerset, and then continues on to Keebler Pass and Gunnison and takes about 10 hours to complete with stops.
Gunnison River – The north fork of this large Colorado river flows by Somerset on its way to the Paonia Dam. It’s a popular spot for fishing year-round, and also offers a place for kayakers and rafters to get a nice float in.
- Erickson Springs campground has 18 campsites open from mid-June to mid-September. It’s nestled within a forest next to Anthracite Creek and provides a great jumping-off point for off-road drivers, hikers, and mountain bikers.
- The Campground at Big B’s Delicious Orchards is a unique opportunity to camp at a vast fruit farm. Campers are allowed to pick many fruits including cherries, apples, apricots, plums, and peaches. There are 29 camping sites along with 2 glamping sites to reserve.
- Read about the camping near Paonia, Hotchkiss and Crawford.
Fishing – Fishing is plentiful on the north fork of the Gunnison River that runs parallel to town.
- Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park is about an hour’s drive away, however, the spectacular views of the canyon are worth the trek. The South Rim entrance has plenty of short hikes and a scenic drive along the top of the towering canyon walls.
- Mt. Baldy is a popular peak to summit, with the trail totaling just over 6 miles. It’s a peaceful escape with lush forests and sprawling meadows.
- Explore more hikes around Somerset and Paonia.
Activities near Somerset
- Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park (37mi)
- Grand Mesa National Forest
- Gunnison National Forest
- Raggeds Wilderness Area