Monte Vista is one of the larger towns in the Great Sand Dunes area. There are numerous places to eat, sleep and shop in town.
Monte Vista National Wildlife Refuge – Four mile auto tour leads you through this scenic refuge. Whooping crane and sandhill crane migrate here annually before flying north.
- Rio Grande National Forest to the west offers numerous campgrounds and dispersed camping options.
- Terrace Reservoir is one of the closest lakes to town.
- LaJara Reservoir State Wildlife Area is located about an hour and a half away.
- Mar – Crane Festival – Witness 20,000 sandhill cranes migrate to the local wildlife refuge. It’s held annually in early March.
- Aug – San Luis Valley Potato Festival
Things to do near Monte Vista
- Sand Dunes Pool (29mi)
- Alamosa National Wildlife Refuge (22mi)
- Great Sand Dunes (48mi)
- Monte Vista National Wildlife Refuge
- Rio Grande National Forest
State Wildlife Areas:
- LaJara Reservoir (47mi)
- Terrace Reservoir (22mi)
- Colorado Gator Farm (29mi)