Situated in a beautiful alpine valley, Fraser is a good choice for relaxation year round. The town usually gets lumped together as Winter Park/Fraser, as it’s only minutes from the its neighbor. There are a few blocks of businesses spread out along Highway 40.
The population of Fraser was 1,224 in 2010. Located in Grand County at 8,574 feet of elevation, it was incorporated on June 15, 1953. The Arapaho National Forest surrounds town, offering outdoor recreation in nearly all directions. Year round there’s fun to be had in the Fraser River Valley.
Amtrak Train – The winter “ski train” from Denver’s Union Station delivers passengers looking to ski Winter Park’s famous slopes to Fraser Station. You can board the California Zephyr train in either direction, east to Denver, or west to Glenwood Springs and Grand Junction (or onto California).
- There are two national forest access roads in Fraser, County Road 72 and 73, near the Alco and across the street from Safeway. Co Rd 72 takes you to Elk Creek and Co Rd takes you to St Louis Creek. Once you get back in the Arapaho National Rec Area numerous side mountain roads connect the two, all open to biking.
- Trestle Bike Park is located at Winter Park Resort. Rentals are offered for this downhill mountain course. Granby Ranch also a bike park.
- There are two national forest campgrounds, St Louis Creek and Byers Creek, both close to town on County Road 73.
- Dispersed camping can be found on County Road 72/Elk Creek Road within a few minutes of downtown.
- Another option for free dispersed camping is just north of town on Co Rd 50. Take a left on Co Rd 5 then a quick left on CR 50. Follow for a few miles to national forest.
- Read about the camping near Winter Park and Fraser.
- There are a couple local ponds in Fraser, but the best fishing exists up north between Granby and Grand Lake in one of the many great lakes.
- The Fraser River passes north through town on its way to the Colorado River. Both offers excellent places to trout fish.
- There are a lots of trails in the national forest, just look for access points.
Hotels and lodging:
- Read about the best hotels in Fraser.
Jul/Aug – High Country Stampede Rodeo – Every Saturday from early June to mid August, Fraser hosts an a wild evening of western rodeo performances.
Activities near Fraser
- Winter Park Alpine Slide (6mi)
Cross Country Skiing:
- Arapaho National Forest
- Arapaho National Rec Area
- Bryers Peak Wilderness
- Devil’s Thumb Lake (Indian Peaks Wilderness)
- Indian Peaks Wilderness
- Rocky Mountain National Park (33mi)
- Saint Louis Creek
- Corona (15mi)
- Hot Sulphur Springs Resort (25mi)
- Winter Park Village (6mi)
- Granby (15mi)
- Grand Lake (31mi)
- Hot Sulphur Springs (25mi)
- Kremmling (42mi)
- Tabernash (4mi)
- Winter Park (5mi)
Latest in Fraser
From utility to tourist attraction, Colorado’s railroad system has seen its share of twists and turns…
Between the irreverent animated TV show of its namesake and its closer proximity to populated cities…