Granby has been called a “huntsman’s paradise” by locals. It sits in a wide, scenic valley with stunning landscapes in every direction. There’s national forest access in most directions and also excellent fishing, thanks to Lake Granby to the north.
Cozy shelters, delicious cuisines, and wonderful shopping areas make it a convenient place to stay while exploring the Grand County region. The town has a motto: “The heart of something grand.” Granby resides less than two hours drive from Denver.
In 2020 the town boasted a population of 2,079. Granby resides at 7,935 feet of elevation. It was incorporated on December 11, 1905. The town is a gateway to Lake Granby and the other “great lakes of Colorado”, located north of town. Granby also boasts its own ski area and year-round resort, Granby Ranch.
Granby lies on the route of the Amtrak train with its own station in town. You can catch this train going west from Denver’s Union Station to Fraser or Granby stations, or continue west to Glenwood Springs or Grand Junction.
Granby Ranch Resort – Provides skiing in the winter, and golfing and biking in the summer. The resort is situated a few miles from downtown.
Lake Granby – It’s the second-largest body of water in Colorado. Lake Granby offers water sports of all types, including boating, fishing, and swimming. It’s one of five lakes within the Arapaho National Recreation Area.
Read about the top things to do in Granby.
Biking – Arapaho National Forest is full of scenic trails for exceptional mountain biking. Granby Ranch also has an awesome bike park with lift access.
- Arapaho National Forest offers many access points between Grand Lake and Winter Park, especially near Granby. Look for signs for national forest access and drive a couple of miles back. Most offer great car camping opportunities.
- Arapaho National Recreation Area has a number of campsites with breathtaking views of Lake Granby. Head north on Highway 34 from town and you’ll reach the lake. Stillwater and Arapaho Bay are some of the most stunning campgrounds.
- In-town and featured below under Accommodations, Sun Outdoors Rocky Mountains is the best place to camp for those looking for an abundance of amenities.
- Read about the camping near Granby and Grand Lake
- Lake Granby lies about 8 miles to the north on Highway 34. Much of it is part of the Arapaho National Recreation Area, so there would be a $5 charge for vehicles to enter.
- You can follow the Colorado River west of town to Hot Sulphur Springs and onto Kremmling, fishing the whole route.
Hiking – Arapaho National Forest offers many trails around Granby. Look for access points marked by signs along Highway 34 to the north near Grand Lake and also heading south on Highway 40 towards Winter Park.
Hot Springs – The nearby town of Hot Sulphur Springs offers a relaxing, hot springs resort retreat only ten miles down Highway 40.
Snow Mountain Ranch – With over 8,000 acres of gorgeous land, this YMCA lodge is sure to impress. The property has any outdoor adventure you could ask for, including a nordic center, disc golf, and hiking trails.
Trail Riders Motel – Perfectly located in the heart of Granby, and only a short drive from Granby Lake and Rocky Mountain National Park. All rooms have a mini fridge, free wifi, and a coffee maker.
Antler Basin Ranch – A great private option for families or large groups. Located on 280 acres of scenic land, the ranch has plenty of activities and can sleep 12 people.
Sun Outdoors Rocky Mountains – This upscale glamping and camping resort sits right between the town and Lake Granby. It’s a fantastic spot with so many different rental options, ranging from Airstreams and cabins to Conestoga wagons and studios.
Read about the best hotels in Granby.
Brickhouse 40 – Located in Granby’s first brick building and built-in 1917. The menu features steaks, pasta, and Greek and Italian specialties.
My Cabin Mexican Food – Small spot serves up authentic Mexican fare.
Fat Cat Cafe – This cafe has a hearty menu with classic dishes like biscuits and gravy, chicken fried steak, and lots of breakfast specials. They also have a buffet on the weekends.
Jan – 3 Lakes Ice Fishing Contest – One of the most popular events in the area, participants spend 1-3 days fishing on Lake Granby, Shadow Mountain Reservoir, and Grand Lake for cash prizes.
Jun-Jul – Rodeo – Stop by the Flying Heels Arena to witness a classic Western rodeo. Featuring events such as barrel racing, bull riding, and kids activities.
Jun-Sep- Farmers Market – Stock up on meat, local produce, honey, and artisan goods at this weekly Tuesday market.
Jul – 4th of July Celebration – Join the community to celebrate this summer holiday with a parade, family fun run, a rodeo, and fireworks.
Activities near Granby
- Winter Park Alpine Slide (21mi)
- YMCA of the Rockies (8mi)
Cross Country Skiing:
- Devil’s Thumb Ranch Resort & Spa (15mi)
- Grand Lake Nordic Center (15mi)
- Granby Ranch Nordic Trails (4mi)
- Latigo Ranch Nordic Center (44mi)
- Snow Mountain Ranch Nordic Center (8mi)
- C Lazy U Ranch (7mi)
- Drowsy Water Dude Ranch (7mi)
- Arapaho National Forest
- Arapaho National Recreation Area (Lake Granby)
- Colorado River
- Lake Granby (8mi)
- Monarch Lake (15mi)
- Rocky Mountain National Park (18mi)
- Willow Creek
- Hot Sulphur Springs Resort (10mi)
- Winter Park Village (21mi)
- Berthoud Pass (31mi)
- Colorado River Headwaters Byway (<1mi)
- Stillwater Pass (11mi)
- Trail Ridge Road (15mi)
- Colorado Adventure Park (15mi)
- Fraser Tubing Hill (15mi)
- Snow Mountain Ranching Tubing Hill (8mi)
State Wildlife Areas:
- Fraser (15mi)
- Grand Lake (16mi)
- Hot Sulphur Springs (10mi)
- Kremmling (27mi)
- Tabernash (11mi)
- Walden (55mi)
- Winter Park (20mi)
- Amtrak Granby Station
- Denver International Airport (105mi)
- Grand Mountain Rides (to Grand County/from Denver Airport)
Latest in Granby
Got Vertical? Colorado Ski Resorts by Size
Colorado’s world class ski resorts feature a myriad of skiable acres and vertical drops, all waiting…
Which hot springs are near what Colorado towns?
Whether you’re shredding the local ski slopes, hiking the region’s highest peaks, or even just strolling…
All Aboard! Colorado’s Top 10 Train Rides
Colorado’s scenic train rides are some of the best in the country. From utility to tourist…
Camping near Granby and Grand Lake, around the West Side of RMNP
Tucked away north of Winter Park lies the “Great Lakes of Colorado,” sandwiched between the Grand…
Camping near Granby and Grand Lake, around the West Side of RMNPRead More
View more Granby articles