Granby has been called a “huntsman’s paradise” by locals. It sits in a wide, scenic valley with stunning landscapes in every direction. There’s national forest access in most directions and also excellent fishing, thanks to Lake Granby to the north.
Cozy shelter, delicious cuisine, and wonderful shopping areas make it a convenient place to stay while exploring the Grand County region. Housed in Granby’s first brick building, build in 1917, Brickhouse 40 features steak’s, pasta, and Greek and Italian specialties.
The nearby town of Hot Sulphur Springs offers a relaxing, hot springs retreat only ten miles down Highway 40.
Granby Ranch – Provides skiing in the winter, and golfing and biking in the summer. The resort is situated a few miles from downtown.
Lake Granby – Second largest body of water in Colorado. It offers water sports of all types, including boating, fishing and swimming.
- Arapaho National Forest is full of scenic trails for exceptional mountain biking.
- Granby Ranch has an awesome bike park, with lift access.
- Arapaho National Forest offers many access points between Grand Lake and Winter Park, especially near Granby. Look for signs for national forest access and drive the couple miles back. Most offer great car camping opportunities.
- Arapaho National Recrecreation Area has a number of campsites with breathtaking views of Lake Granby. Head north on Highway 34 from town and you’ll reach the lake. Stillwater and Arapaho Bay are some of the most stunning campgrounds.
- Lake Granby lies about 8 miles to the north on Highway 34. Much of it is part of the Arapaho National Recreation Area, so there would be a $5 charge for vehicles to enter.
- Arapaho National Forest offers many trails around Granby. Look for access points marked by signs along Highway 34 to the north near Grand Lake and also heading south on Highway 40 towards Winter Park.
Things to do near Granby
- Winter Park Alpine Slide (21mi)
Cross Country Skiing:
- Hot Sulphur Springs (10mi)
- Winter Park Village (21mi)
- Fraser (15mi)
- Grand Lake (16mi)
- Hot Sulphur Springs (10mi)
- Kremmling (27mi)
- Tabernash (11mi)
- Walden (55mi)
- Winter Park (20mi)
Ski and Shoot: Biathlon In Colorado – If you happen to head up to Snow Mountain Ranch (YMCA of the Rockies) in Fraser one weekend this winter and notice a bunch of Nordic skiers skating around with rifles on their backs, then you’ve likely had your first glimpse of a…
Cross Country Skiing in Grand County: A Vigorous Exercise in Serenity – The distinguishing feature of the boot bindings used for cross country skiing is that they allow for freedom of movement and lift of the heel. Likewise, enthusiasts of this classic…
Grand Adventures: Divide and Conquer! – Grand Adventures has the only 12,000-foot snowmobile game in town when it comes to conquering the Continental Divide. You can truly see for miles from up there, surveying Winter Park Resort and Fraser…
Ice Fishing the Great Lakes of Colorado – Grand Lake is Colorado’s largest, deepest natural lake, secluded next to a sleepy resort town by the same name. It sits next to five other alpine lakes: Lake Granby, Shadow Mountain Lake, Monarch Lake, Willow…