Buena Vista is a fun mountain town, centrally located in the Rocky Mountains. It’s close enough to the Front Range for an easy weekend trip, and a convenient base for nearby activities.
Whitewater rafting and hot springs are two of the biggest. Highlighting the magnificent landscape are the 14,000-foot Collegiate Peaks right outside town. There are a good variety of restaurants in town too.
Eddyline Restaurant & Brewery offers wood-fired cuisine and local craft beer, a short drive from downtown. K’s Dairy Delite is a locals’ favorite for Shakes and burgers, this local favorite, situated on Highway 24 in town. Pizza Works is another great pizza parlor.
Hot Springs – Since the 19th century, those who wanted to improve their health through the healing power of hot springs have headed to this Colorado town. Local hot springs were used as a regular location for family getaways as early as the 1880’s. Cottonwood and Mount Princeton are the two nearby.
- San Isabel National Forest is located around Buena Vista. Free car camping exists 15 miles north of town on Highway 24. Take a left at Clear Creek Reservoir on County Road 390. There is a national forest campground just after the Clear Creek Reservoir. Dispersed camping exists up the county road. Watch for pull-over spots for your car and you can set up anywhere. There is some private property during the first few miles of road. 12 miles down County Road 390 is the ghost town of Winfield. The county road is suitable for most cars, but it is bumpy from heavy truck traffic.
- Great trout fishing can be found in the Arkansas River which runs past town.
- Crystal Reservoir is a fifteen minute drive north of town on Highway 24.
Things To Do near Buena Vista
- Antero Reservoir (27mi)
- Browns Canyon National Monument
- Clear Creek Reservoir (14mi)
- Pike National Forest
- San Isabel National Forest
- Breckenridge (60mi)
- Fairplay (37mi)
- Johnson Village (3mi)
- Leadville (34mi)
- Nathrop (8mi)
- Poncha Springs (24mi)
- Salida (24mi)
- Agnes Vaille Falls (16mi)