Moments west of Colorado Pass lies Ute Pass, which begins the upward climb of Highway 24 past the lovely alpine communities Manitou Springs, Cascade and Green Mountain Falls. All boast wonderful campgrounds and make the perfect place to base for exploring the Pikes Peak Region.
If you’re looking to be closest to Pikes Peak consider one of the following campgrounds near Manitou Springs. You’ll be able to quickly access all the recreation nearby, including the Pike National Forest. They will also put you within very short distance to the cosmopolitan culture of Colorado’s second largest city.
List of campgrounds by Manitou Springs and Pikes Peak, CO, in order of proximity:
Camping near Manitou Springs
Situated just west of Old Colorado City, which is Colorado Springs’ lovely historic district, lies Manitou Springs and its charming, historic streets. Take the Highway 24 detour through Manitou Springs via Manitou Avenue, and you’ll pass this tourist friendly town full of gems. It got its name from the cool water mineral springs located way below town, of which, you can actually taste and sample the different H2O from different fountains around town…for free! Bring a jug and fill up for your campsite.
Nestled in town with the adventure of the wilderness just a few minutes away. This RV park is a good home base for outdoor activities in the Colorado Rockies. Park your RV and let the excitement begin.
- Closest town: Manitou Springs (1mi)
- Specs: 64 RV sites, full hookups with 30/50 amp service
- Amenities: WiFi, laundry, showers, restrooms, dog run
- Recreation: Close access to hiking, fishing, biking, horseback riding, all-terrain vehicle, trails canoeing, boating,
- Reservations: Yes, at pikespeakrvpk.com
- Address: 320 Manitou Ave #2506, Manitou Springs, CO 80829 (Map)
- Directions: From Manitou Springs go east on Manitou Avenue .7 miles to Oak Pl. Turn left on Oak Pl the park will be on your right.
Looking for a home base for a weekend getaway to the huge offerings of outdoor activities near Pikes Peak or seeking solace from the daily grind in the shadows of the Colorado Rockies. With either one, you have a great base camp for adventure at this quiet campground. The local herd of calm mule deer that live inside the campground gives you an idea of how quiet and pristine the area is.
- Closest town: Manitou Springs (2mi)
- Specs: 32 RV sites with water, electric and sewer hookups, 10 50 amp sites, 10 long sites, 45’ +, 10 pull-through sites, open year-round
- Amenities: Playground, free WiFi, nearby pool, shopping and trails
- Recreation: Nearby hiking, biking, swimming, fishing, rafting, kayaking, horseback riding, cave tours, cross country skiing, snowmobile trails, show shoeing
- Reservations: Yes, call 719-685-5010
- Address: 625 Crystal Park Road, Manitou Springs, CO 80829 (Map)
- Directions: From Manitou Springs take Manitou Avenue east .8 miles to Crystal Park Road. Go 1.4 miles on Crystal Park Road to the campground.
Camping near Cascade and Pikes Peak
The neighboring communities of Cascade and Chipita Park get lumped into the same census-designated place off Ute Pass. It’s a charming community of permanent residents and vacation homes, nestled in the narrow valley beside Ute Pass. Cascade marks the exit for the Pikes Peak Highway. So if you want to stay as close as possible to this iconic peak, consider the following Lone Duck Campground.
This campground with its huge offering of recreation right on the site could be a destination in itself, but most visitors utilize it as a high end base camp for outdoor adventure at the nearby destinations of Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods.
- Closest town: Cascade (2mi); Manitou Springs (7mi)
- Specs: 44 RV sites, 10 full hookup sites, 30 water / electric sites, 4 pull-through sites, 22 tent sites Open May 1 to September 27
- Amenities: Restrooms, showers, free WiFi, pool, playground, basketball court, laundry, pancake breakfast, convenience store, fish pond
- Recreation: Base camp for nearby rock climbing, hiking, all-terrain vehicles, horseback riding, fishing
- Reservations: Yes, at resnexus.com
- Address: 8855 U.S Highway 24, Cascade, CO 80809 (Map)
- Directions: From Manitou Springs turn right on Manitou Avenue go .4 miles. At the traffic circle take 1st exit, stay on Manitou Springs, go .7 miles. Merge onto U.S. Highway 24 West. Go 5.3 miles. Make a U-turn at Chipita Park Road, go .3 miles to the campground.
Camping near Green Mountain Falls
The alpine community of Green Mountain Falls lies nestled in a narrow valley at 7,800 feet off of Ute Pass. You’ll barely know it’s down there until you get off the exit and go driving thru. Grab a bite to eat at the couple of restaurants in town and then relax by Green Mountain Falls Pond. It’s a beautiful lake and community to stroll around, and makes a great basecamp. There’s one private campground in town, best suited for RVs with full hookups.
If you’re looking for a base camp for your outdoor experience in the myriad activities available near historic Pikes Peak you’ve found the place. A huge variety of amenities bring all the comforts of home to your stay in the Colorado wilderness.
- Closest town: Green Mountain Falls (1mi); Manitou Springs (8mi)
- Specs: 48 Full RV hookups, 30/50 amp service, open June 1 to September 30
- Amenities: Free WiFi, Satellite TV, Rec room, laundry, country store
- Recreation: Base camp for hiking, horseback riding, swimming, mountain biking, rafting
- Reservations: Yes, at rockytopco.com
- Address: 10090 West Highway 24, Green Mountain Falls, CO 80819 (Map)
- Directions: From Manitou Springs take Manitou Ave .4 miles to U.S. Highway 24 Business West, go .7 miles. Merge onto U.S. Highway 24 West, go 6.8 miles to the campground.
Consider Colorado Springs or Woodland Park
While there are a couple places to camp directly in Manitou Springs, there are even more campgrounds just east of town in Colorado Springs. From RV parks located by Old Colorado City, a famous historic district of The Springs, to the magnificent Cheyenne Mountain State Park located south of the city, you’ll find ample camping in Colorado Springs. Just like the aforementioned campgrounds in Manitou, Cascade and Green Mountain Falls, The Springs makes a fantastic base for discovering the Pikes Peak region.
Continuing northwest from Green Mountain Falls up Ute Pass leads you to “the city above the clouds,” Woodland Park. This larger mountain community of around 8,000 residents resides at 8,465 feet, and features all the amenities you should need for a campout or extended summer stay. There are loads of hiking trails, great fishing at Rampart Reservoir, and still easy access to Pikes Peak and 30 minutes down Highway 24 to The Springs. There are numerous campgrounds in Woodland Park to choose from too.
That’s a look at the closest camping to Manitou Springs and Pikes Peak. Make the most of your trip to this beautiful part of Colorado and the most iconic mountain the state.