La Plata County’s seat and largest town is Durango, which is home to an impressive historic district. The county had an estimated population of 53,284 in 2013.
Named for the La Plata River and the La Plata Mountains (la plata is Spanish for “silver”), this county is home to the San Juan National Forest, the Weminuche Wilderness, the Colorado Trail, and the San Juan Skyway, a designated national scenic byway. The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad also departs from town year round.
Visit the La Plata County Government website.
- Jan/Feb – Snowdown in Durango
- Apr – Durango Bluegrass Meltdown
- May – Durango Wine Experience
- Jun/Aug – Durango Blues Train
- Jul – Durango Fiesta Days
- Aug – Mushroom & Wine Festival in Durango
- Aug – San Juan Brewfest in Durango
- Aug – Four Corners Motorcycle Rally in Durango
- Oct – Durango Cowboy Poetry Gathering
Latest in La Plata County
Stellar fishing, excellent bars, breweries, and restaurants, and incredible natural beauty make Durango one of Colorado’s…
Colorado’s Native American casinos are found within the Ute Mountain National Reservation, where the Southern Ute…