Grand Junction is the biggest city in Western Colorado, with a population around 60,000. It’s situated in Grand Valley, a region full of striking contrasts.
Amazing sandstones sit just west of town in the dry canyonlands of Colorado National Monument. Located to the east is Grand Mesa, a gigantic flattop mountain full of forests and alpine lakes.
Colorado National Monument – Enjoy hiking, biking and sight-seeing in this breathtaking location.
Grand Mesa – At fifty miles wide, it’s the largest flattop mountain in the world. A scenic byway connects the town of Mesa with Cedaredge, to the south.
Wine and Vineyards – The Western Slope is home to an array of excellent wineries. Spend part of your day strolling through vineyards and enjoy free wine tastings daily at places.
- Lunch Loop Bike Park is located behind downtown near the entrance to the CNM. There are several single lane dirt trails in addition to the bike park.
- Colorado National Monument offers well maintained campgrounds.
- Nearby Colorado River State Park has campgrounds.
- Colorado River provides year round fishing opportunities close to town.
- There are lots of trails in the Colorado National Monument, although pets are not permitted.
- Powderhorn (39mi)