Golden is a true Old West town located at the base of the Rocky Mountain Front Range. The welcoming downtown is lined with great dining, shopping and history.
This secluded suburb of Denver has its own unique Western foothills vibe with a lot of laid back residents. Coors Brewery is Golden’s claim to fame, and what people think of most when they hear it. The Colorado School of Mines is the university in town, specializing in engineering and science.
It was founded as Golden City in 1859 during the Pike’s Peak Gold Rush. It became a hub for miners and settlers in the area. Today, the town still has a lot of western mountain charm and is a hub for day trippers on the Front Range.
Things to do in Golden
Fans of railroads and trains should explore the Colorado Railroad Museum. Famous western, “Buffalo Bill” had a rich history in Golden and is there’s a museum dedicated to him. Lariat Loop is a beautiful scenic byway that takes you from town up and past Buffalo Bill’s grave and Lookout Mountain.
Coors Brewery – World’s largest single-site brewery is open year round for tours in downtown Golden. The Coors Banquet beer got its name from banquets that Adolph Coors would hold for miners when they came into town for supplies. The beer at the party was always Coors. Thus it became known as the banquet beer.
- Centennial Cone Park – Nine miles from downtown Golden, open nearly year round, except for December and January. Trails open to biking, hiking and horseback riding, with alternating days for hiking and biking to reduce conflict on the park. Equestrians may use trails every day. Weekdays allow for shared hiking and biking. However, on weekends, bikers are allowed on even-numbered days, and hikers on odd-numbered days. 92 Crawford Gulch Rd
- Clear Creek RV Park – Located in downtown Golden next to the Whitewater Park. Has 22 full hookup and 3 tent sites.
- Golden Gate Canyon State Park – 132 modern campsites, plus yurts, cabins and backcountry camping. The park also has several ponds and streams great for fishing.
- White Ranch Open Space Park – Located 11 miles from downtown Golden. There are 2 camping areas, both with restroom, water and bear proof storage. Camping is free for up to 3 nights. 25303 Belcher Hill Rd
- Clear Creek runs through downtown Golden and provides good trout fishing. In summer months tubers overwhelm the creek, so it’s best to head west following the creek on Highway 6 towards Black Hawk. Drop a line anywhere west of town.
- Golden Gate Canyon State Park has several ponds and lakes.
- Oct – Knock your Boots Off Chili Cook-Off & Beer Tasting – annual fall afternoon of unlimited chili and beer tastings in downtown Golden.
- Indian (23mi)
- Georgetown Loop (36mi)
River Tubing & Kayaking:
- Golden Gate Canyon (15mi)
- Clear Creek Rafting (19mi)
- Buffalo Herd Overlook (12mi)
Featured Golden blog
Tubing the Mighty Clear Creek in Golden – Tubing the Clear Creek Whitewater Park is one of Jeff Co’s biggest summer attractions. There are several man-made features to ensure whitewater and big waves. The water generally warms up and calms down as the season progresses…
Touring Golden’s Coors Brewery – Touring a brewery is a great way to enjoy some fresh beer and learn something new. The Coors Brewing Company offers year round tours at its brewery in Golden. Parking for the tour is located next to the brewery at 13th and Ford Street. A free shuttle takes you…
Read all our blog posts tagged Golden.